Sunday, November 23, 2008

Unit 12 - Wikis, blogs, and social tagging

I enjoyed watching the video from the creator of Wikipedia. It is fascinating that such a useful encyclopedia can be created so chaotically. I'm glad too, that he addressed many of the beliefs about Wikipedia and its lack of credibility. I think that many people use Wikipedia, but then say they wouldn't recommend it for scholarly work. In reality, encyclopedias are never an acceptable source of information as a citation. They are where you start to get a general idea on a subject and then do the actual research from there. The added benefit of Wikipedia is the links it has to other 'legitimate' works.

One of the libraries I worked at created a wiki for the employee handbook. That way things could be updated and changed immediately, instead of being 2-3, 5 years outdated. It was nice too because anyone could access it and using the side bar you could find what you wanted relatively easy. The down side was you had to be online to be able to see the handbook.

Learning the history of blogs and how they are used in the library setting expanded my knowledge of their use. I had known of using blogs for announcements, but using them for communication between staff was new. I like the idea of a reference blog. It seems practical and easy to use. The self filing system would be very useful. That has always been a concern to me about blogs. They are not so easy to search because the page goes on forever and they are only archived by date.

I'm glad we read the article of social tagging because I didn't know much about it. I had heard the term, but didn't really know how it is used. It makes sense to me to have a location where all of your links are kept. I had not started to use my bookmarks until recently, but I could see how this could get filled up relatively quickly. I have to actually see how a site like del.icio.us works, but I'm curious to find out.

This week I commented on Jabari's blog and Eric's blog

2 comments:

jas292 said...

The wikis are interesting and creating a wiki for a employee handbook is very creative.Blogs are really creative,especially communication wise. Blackboard is like a wiki. As far as a wiki for library instruction,I am unsure about that also. What is ETSL stand for?

Susan Herrick-Gleason said...

I also thought that using a wiki for an employee handbook was an ingenious idea! Wikis might be useful for any type of publication that needs to be updated frequently and that is improved by contributions from a number of people. Perhaps manufacturers could start using wikis to write the instruction manuals for their products; I bet the instructions would be much clearer and more helpful than they are in those horribly-written books that they give out now.