Thursday, August 28, 2008

Assignment 1

The impact of technology on libraries has been great. The fact that libraries are taking the initiative to try to embrace the trends in society, i.e. the increased use of cell phone and mobile devices, shows the field is aware and active in the current movement and will not be left behind. Libraries provide a great service to communities by making what could be unavailable links to content possible.

The amount of behind the scene work that goes into creating a vital digital library is overwhelming, not to mention the amount of money that is needed. And the continual training and upkeep of systems and equipment along with the costs of databases and software seems beyond my comprehension.

In spite of the great lengths librarians have gone to, libraries seem to continue to be last resorts for people in their information searches. I am curious if the changes libraries have made have affected library user-ship. Is user-ship or down from pre-technology times? The vision of the library as a community center is exciting to me, but how will it get there?

4 comments:

raygunrobot said...

I'm in Pittsburgh, and despite all that I hear about people not going to the library, my local branch of the Carnegie Library (South Side), and its Main Branch (Oakland) are both packed every time I go in! The main branch of the library in my hometown (one of my favorite places in the world, so I go in every time I visit) isn't ever as full as the ones here, but it's never empty, either. So I just don't understand where this idea comes from. Maybe it's that people are using the libraries' computers, and not checking out books? But isn't the fact that people have gone to the library in the first place the important part?

Arrrgghhh, grad school hurts my brain.

Anonymous said...

You raise an interesting question here! I would say that in graduate school I spent a great deal of time in the actual, physical library. When I think about the reasons why, this is what I came up with.

Part of it was because it was routine for me to find that quite place with resources accessible and get my work done. Part of it also was my field which required me to access rare collections, etc. only found in the physical space of the library.

However, the library certainly does extend beyond its physical space location into access available for world-campus students (like myself now) who have no physical accessibility to the library.

So I guess we get into semantics as well. What IS or CONSTITUTES the "library"?

Kristina Grube Lacroix said...

I find your comment about a library as a community place very interesting. When I was young (grade school) my parents always took me to summer reading programs at the library, and there always seemed to be people around. I went to the same library a few weeks ago, and it seemed as busy as I remember, especially in the computer room, which was packed. The library still seems to be a community place, but the focus may have shifted slightly based on what is offered.

Theresa said...

Hi Megan,

I would like to comment on you first muddiest point, which I found to be a very good question. I do not think there is a line between information and entertainment in libraries. Yes you can argue that the research section and some DVD's like documentaries could be construed as informational, but whats to say about the fiction section. I get books from there specifically for entertainment value and every now and then I learn something new. I really think it is still both because it is up to the individual consumer to determine what they are getting out of the resources provided.