Friday, September 26, 2008

Class 6

The Wikipedia articles that covered Computer Networks and Local Area Networks in specific gave me a greater sense of how computers connect and how data transfers. I have been having a lot of trouble with my LAN this week and after reading the articles I felt more comfortable with understanding possible problems and the advice technical services gave me (although the problem is still not resolved). I had never really thought about all the different ways in which computers are connected. I guess I just took it for granted that my computer connected to the printer and I received a hard copy. The fact that it has a name, a Personal Area Network, put it into a new perspective.

At first I thought it was a little ridiculous that there are so many different types of networks when they basically all do the same thing, just on a larger scale. I realized though this distinction probably helps in discussing the level of connection. I was surprised by the number of types. I was only really familiar with LAN and WAN, but had just a basic idea.

Learning about the Ethernet and the hardware associated with networking was enlightening. Again many of the terms such as routers and Ethernet sounded familiar to me, but I wasn't exactly sure what they did. The explanations from Wikipedia were fairly straight forward, but got a little confusing when describing some of the more detailed aspects.

The article on managing RFID in libraries was somewhat of repeat of what I have read for other classes. But I know it is a hot topic for libraries. The ability to incorporate so much information about material into one place and also act as security is appealing. An increase in the speed of transaction of check in and out is also a worthwhile aspect of RFID. This would be especially helpful when patrons are checking out large stacks of books or staff is checking material in after a closed day. The author also states that RFID aids in finding the location of material. I am not sure how this works if the material has been pulled or mishelved in the library. Can one actually find the physical location? I have yet to actually be in a library that uses the RFID system and am curious as to how it works. My home library in Cleveland Heights had self check-out, which worked out just as well as checking out at the counter. One still had to have assistance to have DVDs and CDs unlocked. But I think the library still used the barcode system. Each item had to be checked out one at a time and then had to be demagnetized. I have mostly heard praises about RFID, but I wonder why more libraries haven't embraced it.

This week I commented on
Technology Chat and Nicole'sBlog. See Blog list at right


No comments: